Business may find they have questions about how 2017’s tax reform legislation affects their organization and their bottom line. IRS.gov is a great place to find answers. Here are several resources on the IRS website that address tax reform.
Tax reform provisions that affect businesses
This is the main page for businesses. Users can link from this page out to more resources with additional information, which is organized in sections by topic. These sections include a plain language description and links to news releases, notices and other technical guidance. Here are a few of the main tax topics on this page and the subtopics highlighted in each section:
- Income: taxation of foreign income, carried interest, and like-kind exchanges
- Deductions and depreciation: fringe benefits, moving expenses, standard mileage rates, deduction for pass-through businesses, and business interest expenses
- Credits: employer credit for paid family and medical leave, and the rehabilitation tax credit
- Taxes: blended federal income tax and withholding
- Accounting method changes
- Opportunity zones
This page also includes information for specific industries, such as farming, insurance companies, and aircraft management services.
Tax Reform Small Business Initiative
This one-stop shop highlights important tax reform topics for small businesses. From this page, users can link to several additional resources.
Tax reform resources
From this page, people can link to helpful products including news releases, tax reform tax tips, revenue procedures, fact sheets, FAQs and drop-in articles. Organizations can share these materials including the drop-in articles with employees, customers and volunteers to help them better understand tax reform.
Tax Cuts and Jobs Act: A comparison for businesses
This side-by-side comparison can help businesses understand the changes the new law made to previous law. It will help businesses then make decisions and plan accordingly. It covers changes to deductions, depreciation, expensing, tax credits, and other tax items that affect businesses.
Tax reform: What’s new for your business
This electronic publication covers many of the TCJA provisions that are important for small and medium-sized businesses, their owners, and tax professionals to understand. This concise publication includes sections about:
- Qualified business income deduction
- Depreciation: Section 168 and 179 modifications
- Business-related losses, exclusions and deductions
- Business credits
- Corporate tax provisions
- S corporations
- Farm provisions
Share this tip on social media — #IRSTaxTip: Find out how tax reform affects your businesses’ bottom line at IRS.gov
Leave a Reply